Friday, October 21, 2011

A Little Help From My Friends

Royal Arch hike in Boulder.

  In recent months, the urge to become certified for personal training hit me. Not necessarily because I want to become personal trainer (though it might just work out that way!). But because there are a lot of things about training, fitness, and the body that I am interested in learning more about.

  Undoubtedly, in my nine seasons as a professional basketball player, I have endured enough workouts to be somewhat competent in leading myself through an effective training session. (Now that I mention it, I wonder HOW MANY I've actually done!!)

  I know what works for me, what I enjoy, and countless ways to push myself. But I'm getting to the point where I want more.

  In the realm of training, my knowledge and experience probably doesn't even cover 5% of what is actually out there. I want to understand what the body is doing, how it is reacting, and why it is reacting the way that it is. I want to learn why certain techniques are better/more efficient than others. I want to learn different ways to train. You get comfortable with what you are doing, and all of a sudden, you are doing the same workouts and exercises you've been doing for the past five years!

  I want to chip away at the rest of the iceberg, not just be content with the tip.

Hiking the Multnomah Falls loop -- just outside of Portland.
  The first thing that I need to do is decide which organization to get my certification though. That's where it becomes slightly difficult, and where I need some outside input! In researching certifications, there are 14+ accredited organizations that provide services.

  Which ones are the most-widely accepted and recognized? What are the pre-requisites? What are the continuing education requirements to renew the certificate? I can do a lot of the research myself, but many times word of mouth and experience trumps anything you can read about.

After a workout at Red Rocks Amphitheater.
  So I am asking for some input and guidance from you all!! If you have any experience with certification, or have a friend that does, please let me hear from you/them!

  What certification did you choose, and are you happy with your choice? Have you encountered any limitations? If I'm going to become certified, I might as well be certified with the best!

  I'm looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks, and have a great weekend!







0 comments:

Post a Comment