Thursday, September 29, 2011

First Impressions



 
  Game number two for DMBC Dunkerque, proved to be just as successful as the first. Unfortunately that means tallying up another in the 'L' column for my team. For me, the only good to come from this game was that I finally got the opportunity to get out on the court. I practiced all week, and had no problems with my ankle, so I was comfortable and confident that I'd be able to play, and be effective.

  The first home game of the season is really the only game I ever get nervous for anymore. It's the first opportunity to prove yourself, and the first chance to show your home fans what kind of player you are. You know what they say about first impressions. You want to play well, and show the fans what they hopefully have to look forward for the rest of the season. So I was excited, and ready to play.

  There are always high expectations for Americans in European basketball. You're supposed to come in and be 'Super American' (for lack of a better term): lead the team in scoring, rebounding, etc..I have gotten used to those expectations, and do my best not to let them affect me. I try to play my game, and do it the best I can. The thing is, you're never going to meet everyone's expectations, so you really can't worry about what others think. That's where you get into trouble, usually by putting too much pressure on yourself.



  Our opponent from Saturday, Voiron (a city in the south, near Lyon), had a familiar face on their team. I had played against Amanda Lassiter many times when I was at Colorado. She played at Missouri, so our teams played each other twice a year since we were in the same conference. She somehow drew the ire from the refs early on (as many Americans do out here, for whatever reason), and spent most of the game on the bench in foul trouble. But even with her on the bench, we couldn't get the win. It's always fun to see a familiar face all the way out here. But hopefully the next time I see her on the court, my team will come out on top.

   One thing about these game recaps: if you think I'm going to give you any stats, you are mistaken. You'll have to go elsewhere for that. :) The only statistics I have ever cared about was the final score, and whether or not we were on the winning side of things.

  But I will sum up our game this way: we had too many turnovers, weren't aggressive enough, and played some pretty bad defense at times. But it's all fixable, which is a good thing. By communicating and working harder, both in practice and in the games, there's no reason why we can't turn things around and start winning. So now it's just a matter of putting in the work, and changing our habits! But like I said yesterday ("We are what we repeatedly do..."), it all starts in practice!!

  Next game is at home again on Saturday. I'll let you know how that one goes next week! Have a good one!

  ~ Sabrina

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING YOU PLAYED AS AMANDA I KNOW THRU MY SON THAT SHE HAS MANY AWARDS FROM BEING ON THE NJCAA CHAMPIONS THEIR TOURNAMENTS MVP 98 NCAA 2001 ALL BIG FIRST TEAM AND WAS ON HOUSTON, SEATTLE, MINN, AND CHICAGO. THEN HE SAID SHE WHEN TO PLAY IN EUROPE. IT MUCH HAVE BE AMAZING PLAYING AGAINST AND YOU HAVE TO BE VERY TALENTED TO DO SO. 18 JAN 2012 2:28AM DLG

    ReplyDelete